Friday, November 19, 2010

Mission Critical Statement

The mission critical statement Website is useful because it contains various amounts of arguments and definitions for arguments. The Website includes basic parts of an argument and basic relations, analysis of arguments, Fallacies and non-rational persuasion, and other common fallacies. There are many terms that we have learned in the class so far that appear on the web page. For example the conjunction and and the disjunction or. This is one very basic concept that has been introduced in our previous classes. One of the categories that we were not introduced to in class was appeal to indirect consequences. Within that category we have the idea of wishful thinking. This concept is a concept that is often used in comedies in my opinion. Wishful thinking is basically a thought which on a positive note tries to distract the other person from the issue. I found the example in the yellow box very effective. The answer was “I’m not going to let Joe’s actions affect his promotion. After all wouldn’t be better if there was no sexual harassment in the workplace?” I found this a great example of wishful thinking.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Patster,
    The way you have presented the blog is very unique. You talk about all the different types of concepts that have been mentioned in the website. furthermore, you use a couple and give an example to one. I also was deep in thought when you said that most comedians, in your opinion, use the wishful thinking. Only now do I realize that, what you said is true. I thought about the various shows Russell Peters has performed, and it struck me that, he uses this choice of action. I always thought that it varied between comedians ( stand up, reality shows, etc. ), but it seems that they all use it to the same extent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the Mission Critical website to be very interesting and useful. This website definitely has a large amount of information. I thought that the basic parts of an argument section of this website was extremely helpful and informative. It was helpful that this website had the same terms that we covered thus far and presented them in a different way. I also found the section on appeal to indirect consequences to be very interesting. This section was definitely helpful and clear. The concept of wishful thinking also caught my attention. I agree with you that wishful thinking can commonly be found in comedies. The example involving the yellow box was very effective for me as well. Overall, very clear and well written post.

    ReplyDelete