Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Appeal to Emotion

According to the text, appeal to emotion is basically an argument that makes you react a certain way because of the way you feel. Emotion is a major aspect of reasoning. Without emotion we cannot reason effectively, but we cannot let it completely control our reasoning. The aspect of appeal to emotion that hits me the most is appealing to fear. Whenever I hear about thefts, rapes or murders in the news I am greatly affected. When I hear about these things I think about my own family and loved ones. This is why I feel that appeal to fear is an effective tool for arguments as well as an effective way to sway people’s viewpoints. As a student, I am fearful of what the politicians who are elected into office are going to do with our public education system. Recently, an effective commercial about Meg Whitman played on the air. It pretty much showed her saying the same things that Arnold Schwarzenegger has said when he ran for governor. This was an effective strategy because voters are fearful of candidates who can’t change California. Many voters like me are looking for reform and looking for new fresh candidates to change California. Appeal to emotion is a very persuasive tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSLoTJySZmg

1 comment:

  1. I like your post because I did the same advertisement on Meg Whitman. This was a good attack ad to her by Whitman because shows that we already tried this so voters should vote for him. No matter what party you voted for it is a funny commercial no matter what. During the Giants World Series parade, the crowd booed Arnold on stage. So we need change not repeat in our government. Brown’s ad hit her hard in advertisements because she had no rebuttal advertisement for Brown. This is a good post Pat. I hope to read more from you soon.

    ReplyDelete