Friday, November 5, 2010

Calling In Your Debts

One leader that I know in a student organization uses the method of calling in debts as an argument to convince others. This leader gives guilt trips to the members of the members of the organization. One example would be when one member didn't want to show up to an event. That member explained to her that she needed to go to a family party. The leader immediately stated "remember the time I helped you get that project done?" This is an example of callin in your debts. The member thought about it and decided to go to the event. With calling in your debts, the user uses a guilt trip to force the other person into a compromising situation. "Should I go to the family party and look like a jerk not helping out someone who helped me out?" Although this is an effective method of swaying emotion and reasoning, it is not an effective motivational tool. Calling in your debts feeds off negativity and creates fear within people if a person uses it too much.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Patster,
    I know what exactly you are talking about. I am part of an organization as well, and there have been times when such fallacies have come about. I just feel that the entire world expects something in return, when they provide a service for others; Or maybe that is just me. Unfortunately, this is not the only place where I have to deal with such statements. It happens every single day with my brother. He literally keeps track of the number of times he does a chore, and compares it with that of mine. If he ends up doing some of my chores as well, he will come and ask me to do more of his homework! overall, nice example !

    ReplyDelete