Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Chapter 6

What I have learned from Chapter 6 is considering alternatives such as compound claims and the contradictory of a claim. I also learned about conditional and their contradictories. A compound claim is a claim that is compiles 2 or more claims and is seen as just one claim. For example, “I can either go to school or stay home and sleep.” The indicator word would be the word or. Within each of these claims consists of alternatives, which are all claims that make up a compound claim. The contradictory of a claim is a claim that is the complete opposite of another claim. For example a claim would be “I am a Warriors fan.” The contradictory of this claim would be “I am not a Warriors fan.” Conditional claims are claims that are perceived as if and then statements. For example, “If I don’t go to school today, then I will fail my quiz.” The contradictory of a claim instead would be an if, but not then. For example, “If I don’t go to school, I still won’t fail my quiz.” Knowing how to use compound claims and conditional claims will make your arguments much more effective and will help you see weak arguments.

1 comment:

  1. Patster,

    I really liked your post and found it to be really clear and easy to understand. Even though I too talked about compound claims in my blog, if I had not read the book and did not know what a compound claim was, your blog would have explained it very well. Your examples are also very effective and do a great job at demonstrating your definitions and explanations.

    I found the contradictory of a claim to be the easiest part of chapter 6; as it is very easy to understand and apply in an argument.

    Overall your post was very helpful and clear so great job :)

    ReplyDelete