Thursday, September 30, 2010

Advertising and the Internet

Advertising on the internet is important for sites such as ebay, amazon, and craigslist are utilized by regular people who want to get rid of regular things. In my post, I will be talking about craigslist and how I usually go about evaluating ads. I've been dealing on craigslist for about 2 years now, both buying and selling various items. I have become an expert at seeking fake ads, scammers,and spammers on craigslist. I regularly search for cars on craigslist, because I usually finds good deals on cars because I don't have to deal with dealers and I could make really good deals. So recently I've been searching for cars, specifically a camaro. I recently saw this ad with a camaro that seemed too good of a deal. "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" as the old cliche says. The first claim that I rejected for this ad was that it was a camaro z28, as the title says. This claim contradicts a claim that has been made by a visual in the ad. I have reason to believe that this car is not a Z28 model, but rather an SS, as the pictures say. I am relying on personal experience with this ad because I've come across many ads like this before and I've owned many cars like this. The second claim that I rejected was that this car is being sold in San Francisco, as the title says. I use my background of Kelly Blue Book to analyze the price that this owner has set. He is selling this car for $3,700, when in actuality this car could be sold for around $10,000-$12,000. This fact brings me to the conclusion that the owner is very desperate or that this online ad is a fake. The likelihood of this being a fake ad is much greater because who would give up $7,000? Another detail I noticed is the picture looks like it is in a farm setting, and the ad is placed in San Francisco. This is an example of a Nigerian scheme in which the person who posts the ad makes an agreement with a person. That person sends a check to the seller and the seller promises to ship the car to that person. As stupid as it sounds, a lot of people fall for schemes like these. I would usually email people and gauge the situation to see if they actually want to meet in person. If they don't, then usually the deal is not legitimate. Using personal experience as well as other reputable sources such as kelly blue book, I am able to see if the claims that people make in online advertisements are true or not.








Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This was great, not only was Patster able to describe in detail the context and how it pertained to an advertisement, but the fact he was able to catch a scammer was very amusing. I'll admit, the way Paster described how this advertisment followed the rules stated in the book was a great argument itself. He provided many premises which we can believe to be true because this student has to reason to mislead us. The conclusion he gave us was that this Camero was a scam. We can assume he is a person who has experience in this field before as well because he has stated this to us. Overall great explanation and connection to the content.

    ReplyDelete